Known as The Old Bridge House, this was a family home until 1927.
The pub probably dated from about 1856, and the building may have contained parts of the previous structure on the site, which was possibly the lock keeper’s cottage dating from the opening of Bell Weir Lock in 1817-18.
It was demolished in 1973 to be replaced by the Runnymede Hotel.
The Castle became a beer house in about 1860 and its crenulated façade was changed during alterations sometime between 1914 and its closure in 1935.
The building was demolished in 1937/8.
Possibly the oldest hostelry in the town, this was listed in a 17th century Parliamentary as one of the principal inns of Egham.
With extensive stabling, it served many of the long-distance coaches.
The Catherine Wheel was rebuilt in 1898.
Coach and Horses
In existence since the 17th century and demolished in 1974 to make way for the M25 motorway.
High Street – See The Egham Picture book
In existence in the 18th century, this was known also as the Running Horse.
Eclipse was a famous horse born in 1764 during a solar eclipse at the Cumberland Lodge stable.
The pub was rebuilt further back from the road in 1935.
For many years a beer house catering for “the respectable working class”, these licensed premises closed in the 1930s.
A grade II listed building, there has been an inn on this site since at least the 17th century.
A favourite place in the 17th and 18th centuries for gentlemen to meet, dine and rest their horses, this later became a major stopping point for coaches on the London to West Country routes.
Nag’s Head Inn
In existence in 1689, its licence was not renewed in 1915 and the premises were taken over by fishmongers.
A beer house
Thought to be one of Egham’s oldest inns, the Pack Horse was situated close to the 19th milestone from London.
It was demolished in the 1930s
Prince of Wales
Once owned by Meux’s brewery, this was described as a lodging house in 1892 catering for a “low class of people”.
It was demolished in the late 1970s to make way for the Egham ring road.
Designed to accommodate travellers on the new railway, the hotel also supported “a respectable bar trade”.
Situated just off the Great Western Road, the Red Lion was a coaching inn.
Towards the end of the 18th century a social club made up of members of the local gentry dined there fortnightly.
Village Road, Thorpe
Dates from at least 1700 – the one large bar was previously divided into four: a bar and a bar parlour on the left and a parlour and tap-room on the right.
Rose and Crown
In existence 1934
Egham Hill – See Eclipse
Stag and Hounds
Wellington Avenue, Virginia Water
In existence 1830s
In existence in 1678, when one bargeman killed another there.
Dating from the early years of Queen Victoria’s reign, the building was reconstructed in 1936.
Waggon and Horses
Shown in a 19th century Petty Sessions list as entertaining “respectable working men” the pub was demolished in 1904 as being “unfit for use”.