The areas of Lyne and Longcross were, up until the early part of the 20th century, poor agricultural areas. The land was part of that given to Chertsey Abbey and so come of the agricultural produce would have gone to the Abbey in tithes.
Gracious Pond refers back to a pond which once existed in the area, and was created when Abbot de Rutherwyck was in charge of the Abbey in the early 14th century
In 1847 a mixed school was built, which was later enlarged to take up to 100 pupils, and in the same year (1847) the Parish church was built by William Tringham on land donated by Lady Frances Hotham of Silverlands. It too was later enlarged and in 1871 William Tringham giving the vicarage to the Diocese.
In 1939 Longcross became known for ”the Tank Factory” a Ministry of Defence establishment which designed and tested armoured vehicles. It used land from Barrowhills estate for test driving the tanks, and Barrowhills house was used as an officers’ mess.
In 1208 the area known as Lyne today was called ”la Linde” which means the ”lime tree”
Originally part of the lands granted to Chertsey Abbey in 675, it became part of parish of Chertsey in 1849. In the same year the church of Holy Trinity was built in Early English style after design by F. Francis
Lyne has always been a largely agricultural area with farms such as Redlands Farm which dated back to the 15th century. The chief crops grown in the area were wheat and mangold, a fodder crop more commonly known as mangel-wurzel.