It is likely that Englefield Green has been a settlement at least since Saxon times. The name ”Inga’s Feld” shows that the history of the area lies in an agricultural past. A feld was a large grassed area used as pastural land by the community.
By the 18th century the land and be split up in to smaller plots of arable land, leaving only the heath areas as open pastures still held as common land. The community was focused around the green area with a cluster of houses being built. The green is still very much the centre of village life today.
Over the years building around the green continued. From the 18th century the area was developed with large houses being built for the gentry who were moving to the area as the Borough, with its closeness to the Royal household at Windsor, became a fashionable place to live. Building was still restricted to the area around the green, and it was not until the 19th century that the village expanded to the area to the south of the green.
The Enclosure Act
In 1814 the Enclosure Act saw the common land in Englefield Green go in to private ownership. Only the green itself was exempt.