The Meath Home was a voluntary-run orphanage set up by the Ministering Children’s League, founded by Lady Meath, an Ottershaw resident, in 1885. The Meath Home was built on the east side of Brox Road on land which was previously part of Brox Farm. When the children left the home, they were placed in employment and were supported until they had found their feet.
By 1945, changing social conditions and new legislation meant that there was less necessity for orphanages of this kind. The Meath Home became part of the Invalid Children’s Aid Association, who continued to run it for children suffering from bronchitis. Thankfully this condition became increasingly rare, so in 1958 boys with asthma and/or severe eczema were admitted for treatment and education from a Mr R. V. Thomas. In 1982 the function of the school was altered yet again. It is now a facility for children of 5 to 12 years of age who suffer from language and speech impairments. They are given individual attention under the umbrella of ‘Invalid Children’s Aid Nationwide’, and most of the children live in as boarders.
Stratton, H.J.M., ‘Ottershaw through the Ages’, 1990