This memorial is to commemorate the sealing of the Magna Carta at Runnymede meadows, Egham on the 15th June 1215. The Magna Carta is seen by many to have been the corner stone of the Common Law of England, and subsequently that of the United States of America. It was a gift from the American Bar Association, many of whose members make pilgrimages to the site.
The memorial takes the form of a small temple, situated on slightly raised ground at a short distance from the meads themselves. At the centre of the memorial is a large pillar of English granite, which bears the inscription: “To commemorate Magna Carta, symbol of Freedom under Law”. Above this pillar is a circular roof in the form of a star-spangled blue dome with an eye of light at the centre and supported by eight stone columns standing on a stone base. It was designed by the architect Sir Edward Maufe R.A.
The memorial was dedicated on the 28th July 1957, in ceremonies attended by more than 5,000 people including leading members of the bars of England and the United States.
Runnymede, Commonwealth Air Forces, Magna Carta and John F. Kennedy Memorials, produced in association with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the Ministry of Defence. published by Pitkin Pictorials Ltd., c.1965.