In 1885 the railway system became more developed in the Egham Hythe area, resulting in a massive expansion in agriculture, industry and housing. As a result, after the First World War, it was decided that a church was needed for the local people.
In 1919 land was obtained by two pivotal men in the community’s spiritual history—the Vicar of Egham and Edward Budgen, a local trader. Soon after, the vicar began having services in what was first known as the Sunshine Hut and later called St Paul’s Mission Hall. An appeal fund was soon set up because of the makeshift church was deemed “unworthy of the title of God’s house”. The simple wooden framework, akin to two meagrely decorated huts, was also used throughout the week for a variety clubs and council medical clinics.
In 1928, the Reverend P.F.L Burges was assigned to Egham Hythe and the church was temporarily moved to the area where the current church hall is located. Building work started on 21st July 1930 and the church was finished by 10th May 1931, when it was consecrated by the Bishop of Guildford. The cross-shaped church was designed by architects Messrs John and Paul Coleridge, who created much natural light in the church by installing a tower with windows over the arches of the transept and choir. The tower can be seen from substantial distance away, even from parts of the Thames.
An organ was donated to the church by Edward Budgen in 1936. The church’s only stained glass window was fitted in 1962 through a donation by the vicar’s warden, Mr Moody. The current church hall was built in 1957. The number of the church’s modern patrons has declined somewhat in recent years by disappearing industry and telecommuting.
The Reverend P.F.L Burges remained as vicar until 1943.
Chertsey Museum Research Room local history boxfile for history of church by Kay Young.