A bridge over the River Bourne at Ottershaw has been at the existing site from at least as early as the mid 1500s. It lay on the boundaries between the Manors of Walton Leigh and Pyrford, and as such suffered from divided responsibility for its maintenance.
In 1804 representatives from both manors and local landowners formed a committee oversee the upkeep of the bridge which was only open to wheeled traffic when flooding meant that the ford next to it was too dangerous to use. The committee stated that the Duke of York and Lord Onslow, as Lords of the two Manors, should rebuild the bridge with one that had a 10ft wide arch so that wheeled traffic could use it, but this was never done.
In 1897 the Local Highways Committee recommended a new brick bridge, and work started on it the following year. However, with the ever increasing level of motor traffic during the 20th century, it was the site of many accidents and had to be rebuilt again in 1957 when the road was widened.
Stratton, H.J.M., ‘Ottershaw through the Ages’, 1990