Anchor 124 Guildford Street: In existence 1599 but ceased business soon after
Angel 33 Windsor Street: (on the site of The Cedars) Flourished from at least 16th century to near the end of the 17th century.
Angel 9-15 Windsor Street – See King’s Head, Chertsey
Bell Inn (Railway Bell) 33 Guildford Street, Chertsey: Property of the Badger family (brewers) in 1627, rebuilt in 1906 and demolished in 1993.
Black Swan (Swan) 12 Windsor Street: Appears as The Swan in a deed of 1495 and flourished until c. 1703 mentioned in Market Charter 1598/9
Black Swan (Swan) Chertsey Bridge: Described in “Oliver Twist as “a solitary house: all ruinous and decayed. There was a window on each side of the dilapidated entrance; and one storey above; …” Demolished c. 1850
Brewers Arms 36 Windsor Street: Became a tavern c. 1852. Closed before 1913 and was demolished 1965
Bridge Hotel Chertsey Bridge: Began to operate in or soon after 1872 on the site of a former wharf, and was rebuilt in 1996.
Carpenters’ Arms 33 Pyrcroft Road: Established between 1826 and 1845 by Thomas Wheeler, grandfather of local historian Lucy Wheeler.
Castle 1 Fordwater Road: In existence 1861.
Chertsey Brewery Tap Guildford Street: In existence 1882.
Coach and Horses 14a St. Ann’s Road: In existence 1867.
Cock Inn Windsor Street (now York House): The ancient name was Depenhams and in 1535, as part of the Abbey property, it was valued at £6 13s. 4d. By the beginning of the 15th century it was in the hands of a London brewer and there was a brewery behind the house from at least the 16th century until about 1820. The Badger family operated as brewers from here. In 1600 the house itself was in commission as the Cock Inn and it was closed by 1822.
Coffee House Tavern 117 Guildford Street: Flourished throughout the 18th century until about 1865.
Compasses (Three Compasses) 28 London Street: Said to have been an inn since the 17th century. In operation in 1785 and known as the Duke’s Head in the early 19th century. Closed in the early 1960s.
Coopers’ Arms 8 London Street (later Ethel Taylor, greengrocers): Run by the Bourne family, who were also coopers by trade. Closed in 1908.
Cowley Arms Coffee Tavern 23 Windsor Street: For centuries this was a baker’s and from 1871 until 1918 it was the temperance movement’s answer to the multitude of alehouses in Chertsey.
Cricketers 124 Bridge Road (by Chertsey Bridge): Trading since at least the early 18th century, when it was known as the Walnut Tree, this was rebuilt c.1880. George Morland R.A. paid his bill for a visit to the inn by painting a new inn sign depicting a group of cricketers beneath a walnut tree.
Crown Brewery Tap 109 Guildford Street: In existence 1851. The Crown or Healy’s Brewery was the last brewery in Chertsey and probably ceased brewing after its amalgamation with Friary Brewery of Guildford in 1890.
Crown Hotel London Street: An inn since at least the 16th century, when it was known as the Bull, it is probably to be identified with the Tabard Inn of the late 15th century. It had only storeys until it was remodelled sometime after 1835 and it was rebuilt in 1899.
Denmark House 29 Windsor Street: Described in 1676 as having been “anciently an inn” and was rebuilt in the early 18th century.
Depenhams – See Cock Inn
Drum and Monkey – See Prince Albert
Duke’s Head – See Compasses
George Inn 45 Guildford Street: In operation as the Boot in 1770 and possibly to be identified with an inn known as the Prince’s Arms which existed in 1613.
Golden Grove Ruxbury Road: In existence in 1769.
Good Woman – “Frithwald” Chilsey Green Road: On the site of the present Erkenwald Close – it became a school prior to its demolition.
Greyhound Inn London Street: On the site of Bank House in the 17th century and rebuilt probably about 1780.
Jolly Waggoner(s) London Street/Bridge Road: In operation from about 1837 to 1907 on the site next to the Vine Inn.
King’s Arms Guildford Road: Originally built and opened as an inn in 1736. Rebuilt in 1886.
King’s Head 103 Guildford Street: A 16th century buildings but apparently not a hostelry until shortly before 1700. Part of it, including the access to the stable yard was demolished in 1965.
King’s Head 9-15 Windsor Street: Probably first licensed in 1552, this was the town’s most important inn in the 1630s. It had taken the name of the Angel before it ceased business just before 1700.
Lamb – See Lion and Lamb
Lion and Lamb London Street/Bridge Road: In existence in 1769, this was probably the Lamb which was on the site later occupied by the Vine and therefore certainly gone by 1839.
Lion Inn – See Red Lion
Portcullis – See Prince Regent
Prince Albert 56 Guildford Street: Became a beer-house in about 1849 and was still trading in 1930. It was popularly known as the Drum and Monkey after a street entertainer who lodged there. It was de-licensed and sold in December 1933.
Prince Regent 126 Guildford Street: This has the appearance of having been built c.1725 and became an inn between 1812 and 1815 as the Regent Inn. For 80 years previously it had belonged to a series of grocers and tallow-chandlers, but in 1676 it is referred to as “called the Portcullis” and may have been an inn at or before this date.
Prince’s Arms – See George Inn
Queen’s Head 92 Guildford Street: The gables of this late Jacobean building of c. 1635-50 had once held elaborate brick embellishments with pediments, but these were removed in alterations c. 1900. It was closed by April 1914 and replaced by Woolworths c. 1933.
Red Lion 3 Windsor Street: This once belonged to Sir William Perkins, who dies in 1740. It was quite a respectable establishment in the 18th century and probably an inn from a much earlier date. It survived until after the 1914-18 War and was also know as the Lion Inn.
Red Lion 2-6 Windsor Street (next to the church): This was called the Red Lion in 1624 and 1745 but presumably ceased to be an inn soon after this. By 1716, when it came into the hands of Sir William Perkins, the building comprised four separate dwellings.
Rendevous Hotel 77 Bridge Road
Rose and Crown –– See Town Hall Tavern
Station Hotel 1 Guildford Street: Dates from 1869.
Sun Inn 24 Windsor Street: The date of establishment is unknown but at the close of the 18th century it was being run by George Wheeler, the great-grandfather of local historian Lucy Wheeler. It was known as the Rising Sun in 1814 and closed in 1970.
Swan (White Swan) 27 Windsor Street: Functioned as the White Swan in 1595 and continued so until at least 1733. It was of great local importance in the 18th and 19th centuries as the principal coaching inn and post office. The east end was rebuilt in the late 19th century. From 1750 – 1801 the landlords were the Daniell family, three members of which became well-known artists.
Tabard –See Crown Hotel
Tap –See Chertsey Brewery Tap
Three Tuns 110 Guildford Street: So-called in the early 18th century, so presumably at some stage was an inn.
Three Tuns 44-48 London Street: This is a half-timbered jettied building with an 18th century brick skin which is reputed to have been an inn called the Three Tuns. In 1705 it was leased to Henry Ward, a local brewer, as a house “commonly called or known by the name of the Three Tuns”. A subsequent lease in 1716 was to a husbandman named John Butterfield, which is when it may have ceased to be an inn.
Town Hall Tavern 20 London Street: Once called the Rose and Crown, this has been an inn since at least the early 1780s. The name was changed between 1861 and 1867.
Victory 49 Station Road: In existence 1855
Vine Inn London Street/Bridge Road: Used as a boarding school in 1839 and only became an inn shortly before 1851, although it appears to have been an inn called the Lamb in the 18th century.
Waggon and Horses Goosepool: In existence in 1845, it was still known as the Waggon and Horses Inn in 1906 but was described as a registered lodging house by 1909 and the “late Waggon and Horses” in 1926.
Wellington 125 Eastworth Road: Licensed before 1869.
White Hart 102-106 Guildford Street: An inn from at least the 1660s until its closure in 1788 from which coach services to London operated in the later part of the inn’s existence. The archway to the inn yard (later called White Hart Row) was demolished after damage by a lorry in 1970.