Chertsey gaol was built in the early 18th century behind the Long, Humphries & Co.’s (previously Herrings’) foundry in Foundry Lane. The foundry itself was built by William Herring in the 1960s on the site of the old police station.

In 1325 the Abbot of Chertsey was empowered to get a third coroner elected because prisoners were dying in the gaol whilst awaiting appeals, or else were being rescued on the way to Guildford in Windsor Forest.

In 1852 the accommodation in Foundry Lane was too limited for those arrested for taking part in a duel at Englefield Green.