The first regular cinemas shows were started c. 1905 in the Constitutional Hall by Clifford Spain. About the same time a cinema opened at 41 Guildford Street, which was variously called the Picture Palace Cinema, the Electric Palace, the Electric Theatre, and the Globe Cinema.
The Globe closed in 1934 for alternations and re-opened in 1935 as the Playhouse, continuing in business in 1960. The building remained empty until 1965 when the Empire Bingo and Social Club opened. The Club closed in 1995 and the building was again empty until it was demolished in 1998.