Almners Priory is situated on Almners Lane, Lyne. It dates back to the period of King Alfred the Great, who granted the wattle and daub house which previously stood on the same site, to Reginald Wapshott (871 – 901), his warrener and keeper of bows and arrows. The Wapshott family remained there until the property was acquired by Chertsey Abbey. When held by the Benedictine Abbey, it was the home of the Almoner and sixteen monks.
Parts of the existing Priory date back to the time when the Abbey owned it. The entrance hall was erected in 1427, and the monks’ dormitory is still present. In the dormitory is a very large upright beam which is embedded in the wall. It is known as the ‘king post’ and is believed to be one of the main supports of the house. A priest’s hole was found in the early part of the house during the early 19th century. The remaining parts of the house are around 200 years old.
The Priory has been owned by many different people in the centuries following the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was opened to the public during the mid 20th century, and more recently it has been the headquarters of a computer firm. It is currently the home of a day nursery.
Local press cuttings from Research Room