John Augustus Tulk was born in Addlestone in August, 1882. He was the last in line to a distinguished local family, and lived at Ruxbury House, St. Ann’s Hill, Chertsey. After reading law, John became a solicitor, but ceased practice after a short length of time, to become a member of Chertsey Urban District Council. He was elected Chairman of the C.U.D.C. in 1927-8, and finally became Chairman of the County Council in 1944.
In his youth John had been a keen cricketer, and approached County standard. He played for Byfleet and also for Addlestone at their grounds in Simplemarsh Road. Mr. Tulk continued to patronise local cricket clubs when he stopped playing, and was President of Chertsey Cricket Club for a number of years. John Tulk’s love of sport became a feature of his work as a member of the Board of Governors for Sir. William Perkins School. After joining the Board in 1925. he encouraged sports activity at the girl’s school, which became one of the first in Britain to play cricket.
A great public benefactor, John Augustus Tulk left a legacy for the erection of Tulk Hall at Addlestone Community Centre. He also bequeathed his considerable collection of antique furniture and ceramics to the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, Sir. William Perkins School and Chertsey Urban District Council. Items from the Tulk Bequest to the School and Council have been housed at Chertsey Museum since 1964.