Blog Archives

Town Histories

    Addlestone

    The name Addlestone is thought to derive from ”Attel’s Denu” meaning the valley belonging to Attel. By 1241 the name had evolved to Attlesdene, although this again altered over time with the town being called Addlestone by 1610. Addlestone began

    Chertsey

    Although written evidence for Chertsey dates to the 7th century with the founding of Chertsey Abbey, archaeological remains show that the area was occupied long before that. Neolithic (c.4,500 – c.3,000 B.C) flint axes have been discovered in the area

    Egham

    Egham has been a settlement for thousands of years. Archaeological evidence shows that this area, especially along the Thames, was inhabited during prehistoric times. Evidence of Bronze Age and Iron Age settlements have been found, including evidence from Petter’s Field

    Englefield Green

    It is likely that Englefield Green has been a settlement at least since Saxon times. The name ”Inga’s Feld” shows that the history of the area lies in an agricultural past. A feld was a large grassed area used as

    Lyne and Longcross

    The areas of Lyne and Longcross were, up until the early part of the 20th century, poor agricultural areas. The land was part of that given to Chertsey Abbey and so come of the agricultural produce would have gone to

    New Haw and Woodham

    The areas of Woodham and New Haw were, up until the early part of the 20th century, poor agricultural areas. The land was part of that given to Chertsey Abbey and so come of the agricultural produce would have gone

    Ottershaw

    The name ‘Ottershaw’ only came into use during the mid 19th century when the current parish was created from the hamlet of Chertsey Lane End (the Guildford, Chobham and Foxhills Roads area), Brox and Spratts. Previously the name ‘Ottershaw’ was

    Thorpe

    Neolithic pottery and Bronze Age weapons found in Thorpe are evidence of its early history. In particular, at Thorpe Lea, Iron Age circular post-built structures have been excavated. There must have been Roman activity in the area because of the