Blog Archives

Then and Now

Addlestone Road (now Murray Road), Ottershaw

Addlestone Road (now Murray Road), Ottershaw Then: Addlestone Road (now Murray Road), Ottershaw, early 1900s Now: Murray Road (previously Addlestone Road), Ottershaw, January 2006    

Addlestone Station

Addlestone Station Then: Addlestone Station, 1909 Now: Addlestone Station, December 2005

Addlestone Village Hall

Addlestone Village Hall Then: Addlestone Village Hall, 1905 Now: Site of Addlestone Village Hall, December 2005

Alexandra Road, Addlestone

Alexandra Road, Addlestone Then: Alexandra Road, Addlestone, 1920s Now: Alexandra Road, Addlestone, December 2005

Bell Weir Lock, Egham

Bell Weir Lock, Egham Then: Bell Weir Lock, Egham, 1910s Now: Bell Weir Lock, Egham, January 2006

Brox Road, Ottershaw

Brox Road, Ottershaw Then: The top of Brox Road, Ottershaw, 1920s Now: The top of Brox Road, Ottershaw, January 2006

Central Thorpe – the Red Lion pub

Central Thorpe – the Red Lion pub Then: Central Thorpe featuring the Red Lion pub, with Keeper Charles New standing outside, 1910 – 1916 – On Loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Central Thorpe showing the Red Lion Pub, January

Chertsey Lock

Chertsey Lock Then: Chertsey Lock, c.1920s Now: Chertsey Lock, December 2005

Chertsey Workhouse, Ottershaw

Chertsey Workhouse, Ottershaw Then: Chertsey Workhouse, Ottershaw, 1922 Now: Site of Chertsey Workhouse, Ottershaw, January 2006

Christ Church, Ottershaw

Christ Church, Ottershaw Then: Christ Church, Ottershaw, 1877 Now: Christ Church, Ottershaw, January 2006

Corner of Church Road and High Street, Addlestone

Corner of Church Road and High Street, Addlestone Then: showing Watson’s shop. Taken at the time of celebrations, during the Boer War, for the Relief of Mafeking, May 1900.

Coxes Lock Mill and fish pond, Addlestone

Coxes Lock Mill and fish pond, Addlestone Then: Coxes Lock Mill and fish pond, Addlestone, early 1900s Now: Coxes Lock Mill and fish pond, Addlestone, January 2006

Coxes Lock Mill, Addlestone

Coxes Lock Mill, Addlestone Then: Coxes Lock Mill, Addlestone, 1900 – 1940 Now: Coxes Lock Mill, Addlestone, January 2006

Crockford Bridge, Addlestone

Crockford Bridge, Addlestone Then: Crockford Bridge, Addlestone, 1900 Now: Crockford Bridge, Addlestone, December 2005

Crouch Oak, Addlestone

Crouch Oak, Addlestone Then: Crouch Oak, Addlestone, 1890 Now: Crouch Oak, Addlestone, December 2005

Crown Hotel, London Street, Chertsey

Crown Hotel, London Street, Chertsey Then: Crown Hotel, London Street, Chertsey, late 1890s Now: Crown Hotel, London Street, Chertsey, December 2005

Durnford Bridge, Ottershaw

Durnford Bridge, Ottershaw Then: Durnford Bridge, Ottershaw, 1920s Now: Dunford Bridge, Ottershaw, January 2006

Egham Causeway

Egham Causeway Then: Egham Causeway, 1900s – On loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Egham Causeway, January 2006

Egham Church

St Paul’s Church, Addlestone Then: Egham Church, 1910 Now: Egham Church, January 2006

Egham Cottage Hospital, Englefield Green

Egham Cottage Hospital, Englefield Green Then: Egham Cottage Hospital, Englefield Green, 1905 – 1914 Now: Old Egham Cottage Hospital, Englefield Green, January 2006

Egham High Street

Egham High Street Then: Egham High Street, 1910 – 1915 Now: Egham High Street, January 2006

Egham High Street

Egham High Street Then: Egham High Street, 1910s – On loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Egham High Street, January 2006

Egham Station

Egham Station Then: Egham Station, the east end of the line, featuring a bookstall, April 1911 – On loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Egham Station, January 2006

Englefield Green

Englefield Green Then: Englefield Green, early 20th century Now: Englefield Green, January 2006

Gates of Princess Mary Village Homes

Gates of Princess Mary Village Homes Then: Gates of Princess Mary Village Homes, 1900 Now: Site of Princess Mary Village Homes, December 2005

Guildford Street, Chertsey

Guildford Street, Chertsey Then: Guildford Street, Chertsey in the flood of 1894 Now: Guildford Street, Chertsey, January 2006

Hare Hill, Addlestone

Hare Hill, Addlestone Then: Hare Hill, Addlestone, 1930s Now: Hare Hill, Addlestone, December 2005

Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water

Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water Then: Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water, 1919 – 1926 Now: Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water, January 2006

Interior of Egham Church

Interior of Egham Church Then: Interior of Egham Church, 1905 – 1910 – On loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Interior of Egham Church, January 2006

John Bosher’s shop, High Street, Egham

John Bosher’s shop, High Street, Egham Then: John Bosher’s shop, High Street, Egham, 1902 – On loan from the Oliver Trust Now: Site of John Bosher’s Shop, High Street, Egham, January 2006

Longcross Church

Longcross Church Then: Longcross Church, early 1900s Now: Longcross Church, January 2006

Longcross Post office

Post Office, corner of Kitsmead Lane and Longcross Road, Longcross Then: Post Office, corner of Kitsmead Lane and Longcross Road, Longcross, 1930s Now: Site of the Post Office, corner of Kitsmead Lane and Longcross Road, Longcross, January 2006

Lyne Church

Lyne Church Then: Lyne Church, 1890s Now: Lyne Church, January 2006

Magna Carta Island, Egham

Magna Carta Island, Egham Then: Magna Carta Island, Egham, early 1900s Now: Magna Carta Island, Egham, January 2006

Ongar Hill, Addlestone

Ongar Hill, Addlestone Then: Ongar Hill, Addlestone, 1920s Now: Ongar Hill, Addlestone, December 2005

Ottershaw Corner, Ottershaw

Ottershaw Corner, Ottershaw Then: Ottershaw Corner, Ottershaw, 1910 Now: Ottershaw Corner, Ottershaw, January 2006

Ottershaw Road (now Guildford Road), Ottershaw

Ottershaw Road (now Guildford Road), Ottershaw Then: Ottershaw Road (now Guildford Road), Ottershaw, 1905 Now: Guildford Road (previously Ottershaw Road), Ottershaw, January 2006

Pooley Green, Egham

Pooley Green, Egham Then: The Crossing, Pooley Green, Egham, 1910s Now: New Road footbridge, Egham, January 2006

Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw

Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw Then: Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw, 1908 Now: Site of Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw, January 2006

Spinney Hill, Addlestone

Spinney Hill, Addlestone Then: Spinney Hill, Addlestone, 1909 Now: Spinney Hill, Addlestone, December 2005

St Paul’s Church, Addlestone

St Paul’s Church, Addlestone Then: St. Paul’s Church, Addlestone, 1890s Now: St. Paul’s Church, Addlestone, December 2005

St. Jude’s Church, Englefield Green

St. Jude’s Church, Englefield Green Then: St. Jude’s Church, Englefield Green, 1910 Now: St. Jude’s Church, Englefield Green, January 2006

Station Gates, Addlestone

Station Gates, Addlestone Then: Station Gates, Addlestone, 1915 Now: Station Gates, Addlestone, December 2005

Station Road and the High Street, Egham

Station Road and the High Street, Egham Then: Territorial soldiers on horseback, at the corner of Station Road and the High Street, Egham, 1914 – 1918 Now: Corner of Station Road and the High Street, Egham, January 2006

Station Road, Addlestone

Station Road, Addlestone Then: Station Road, Addlestone, looking east towards the level crossing, 1940s Now: Station Road, Addlestone, looking east towards the level crossing, December 2005

Station Road, Addlestone

Station Road, Addlestone Then: Station Road, Addlestone, looking east from the level crossing, 1900 Now: Station Road, Addlestone, looking east from the level crossing, December 2005

Strode’s School, Egham

Strode’s School, Egham Then: Strode’s School, Egham, 1943 Now: Strode’s College, Egham, January 2006

The Cascade, Virginia Water Lake, Windsor Great Park

The Cascade, Virginia Water Lake, Windsor Great Park Then: The Cascade, Virginia Water Lake, Windsor Great Park, 1910 Now: The Cascade, Virginia Water Lake, Windsor Great Park, January 2006

The Golden Grove Inn, St. Ann’s Hill, Chertsey

The Golden Grove Inn, St. Ann’s Hill, Chertsey Then: The Golden Grove Inn, St. Ann’s Hill, Chertsey, early 1900s Now: The Golden Grove Inn, St. Ann’s Hill, Chertsey, December 2005

The interior of Lyne Church

The interior of Lyne Church Then: The interior of Lyne Church, 1905 – 1911 Now: The interior of Lyne Church, January 2006    

The Lock at New Haw

The Lock at New Haw Then: The Lock at New Haw, 1903 Now: The Lock at New Haw, January 2006

The Old Mill Tea House, Thorpe

The Old Mill Tea House, Thorpe Then: The Old Mill Tea House, Thorpe Now: Looking towards the likely site of the Old Mill Tea House, Thorpe, January 2006    

The Otter pub, Post Office and Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw

The Otter pub, Post Office and Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw Then: The Otter pub, Post Office and Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw, 1910 – 1915 Now: Sites of the Otter pub, Post Office and Roake’s Smithy, Ottershaw, January 2006    

The Ruins, Virginia Water, Windsor Great Park

The Ruins, Virginia Water, Windsor Great Park Then: The Ruins, Virginia Water, Windsor Great Park, 1909 Now: The Ruins, Virginia Water, Windsor Great Park, January 2006    

The Village, Thorpe

The Village, Thorpe Then: The Village, Thorpe, 1905 – 1908 Now: The Village, Thorpe, January 2006

The weir, New Haw

The weir, New Haw Then: The weir, New Haw, 1920 Now: The weir, New Haw, January 2006

Thorpe Church

Thorpe Church Then: Thorpe Church, 1895 – 1900 Now: Thorpe Church, January 2006

Tow path along the river Thames at Egham

Tow path along the river Thames at Egham Then: Tow path along the river Thames at Egham, 1920s Now: Tow path along the river Thames at Egham, January 2006  

Victoria Street, Englefield Green

Victoria Street, Englefield Green Then: Victoria Street, Englefield Green, showing Armstrong Gun and G. Long Fishmongers, 1919 Now: Victoria Street, Englefield Green, January 2006    

Virginia Water Church

Virginia Water Church Then: Virginia Water Church, 1905 Now: Virginia Water Church, January 2006

Wey Navigation, Addlestone

Wey Navigation, Addlestone Then: Wey Navigation, Addlestone, 1940s Now: Wey Navigation, Addlestone, December 2005

Wycham Lane (now Wickham Lane), Vicarage Road and Thorpe Lea Road, Egham.

Wycham Lane (now Wickham Lane), Vicarage Road and Thorpe Lea Road, Egham. Then: Three butlers from Thorpe Lea House enjoying a day off. They are at the junction of Wycham Lane (now Wickham Lane), Vicarage Road and Thorpe Lea Road,