Category: Places tagged with 'Ottershaw'

Places

Anningsley Park

Anningsley Park is situated in the south eastern part of the parish of Ottershaw. Spelling of Anningsley Park has changed with time. During the reign of Richard I it was usually spelt as Annynggleagh, meaning ‘a woodland clearing of the …

Anningsley Park Read More »

Chaworth House

Chaworth House, Ottershaw, was built for the Earl and Countess of Meath around 1910. It was located on part of 20 acres of land between the Guildford and Brox Roads. From the time of the Enclosure Act in the early …

Chaworth House Read More »

Christ Church, Ottershaw

Sir Thomas Edward Colebrook, Fourth Baronet and Member of Parliament, moved to Ottershaw in 1859 and gave land and a bequest to the public to build a church. The church was designed by Victorian architect Sir Gilbert Scott and was …

Christ Church, Ottershaw Read More »

Durnford Bridge

A bridge over the River Bourne at Ottershaw has been at the existing site from at least as early as the mid 1500s. It lay on the boundaries between the Manors of Walton Leigh and Pyrford, and as such suffered …

Durnford Bridge Read More »

Durnford Mill

The first mill in the area was built in 1783 by Sir Thomas Sewell of Ottershaw Park estate. It was situated about ¼ mile upstream from Durnford Bridge (now called Dunford Bridge) on a piece of copyhold land on the …

Durnford Mill Read More »

Ottershaw Park

Until the mid 19th century, the term Ottershaw only referred to the Ottershaw Park area. From then onwards it was used to describe the area made up by the hamlets of Chertsey Lane End, Brox and Spratts. The first mention …

Ottershaw Park Read More »

The Meath Home and School

The Meath Home was a voluntary-run orphanage set up by the Ministering Children’s League, founded by Lady Meath, an Ottershaw resident, in 1885. The Meath Home was built on the east side of Brox Road on land which was previously …

The Meath Home and School Read More »