Blog Archives

Places

Almners Priory, Lyne

Almners Priory is situated on Almners Lane, Lyne. It dates back to the period of King Alfred the Great, who granted the wattle and daub house which previously stood on the same site, to Reginald Wapshott (871 – 901), his

Botleys Park

  The early history of Botleys Park is sketchy and confused. In 1319 the manor belonged to John de Butteley, son of Gilbert de Butteley. Later sources state that it was later owned by John Manory of Chertsey, and his

Chertsey Bridge

Before 1410 travellers crossed the Thames at Chertsey by ferry at a point close to the current crossing. In that year King Henry IV granted a license for the building of a bridge which was to be maintained by the

Chertsey Cinema

The first regular cinemas shows were started c. 1905 in the Constitutional Hall by Clifford Spain. About the same time a cinema opened at 41 Guildford Street, which was variously called the Picture Palace Cinema, the Electric Palace, the Electric

Chertsey Gaol

Chertsey gaol was built in the early 18th century behind the Long, Humphries & Co.’s (previously Herrings’) foundry in Foundry Lane. The foundry itself was built by William Herring in the 1960s on the site of the old police station.

Chertsey Public Houses, Inns & Taverns

Anchor 124 Guildford Street: In existence 1599 but ceased business soon after Angel 33 Windsor Street: (on the site of The Cedars) Flourished from at least 16th century to near the end of the 17th century. Angel 9-15 Windsor Street – See King’s Head, Chertsey Bell

Chertsey Workhouse (or Poor Law Institution)

When the parishes from Walton-on-Thames to Windlesham and including Chobham and Horsell were joined under the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the building of new workhouses was encouraged. When the new Chertsey Workhouse opened in Ottershaw in 1837, it was

Erkenwald (7th century A.D.)

Erkenwald founded Chertsey Abbey in A.D.666, and became it’s first Benedictine Abbot. He spread the name and influence of the Abbey increasing it’s property and wealth. Only 9 years after the Abbey’s foundation, Erkenwald gained further lands for the Abbey,

Fan Court, Longcross, nr Chertsey

Fan Court started out as a keeper’s lodge in Windsor Forest. By 1770, there is evidence that a family by the name of Troy had been living there for more than 100 years as drivers of the deer on Fangrove

Foxhills

The area known today as Foxhills was, up until the early 19th century, part of the Botleys estate. It was named Fox Hill or Fox’s Hill at the time when Botleys was owned by Sir Joseph Mawbey, a close friend

Hardwick Court Farm

Hardwick Court Farm is situated on Hardwick Lane, Lyne. It is a modest structure, but has a long and illustrious history. The earliest records of this house date back to 1430, but it is likely that a house occupied the

Old Town Hall, Chertsey

The Old Town Hall is situated on London Street next to the Crown Hotel. Designed by the architect George Briand, it was built in 1851 – 52, and stands on the site of the second Chertsey Market House. It is

Silverlands

Silverlands is located in Lyne, South West of Chertsey, close to Holloway Hill road, and adjacent to Foxhills and Botleys Park. It is not known precisely when Silverlands was built. At the time of the Chertsey/Beomond Enclosure map of 1814,

St Ann’s Hill

St Ann’s Hill has always been a prominent feature on the landscape of Chertsey, and historical evidence shows that it has been used by humans since prehistoric times. There have been little discovered in the way of objects from St.

St Peter’s Shared Church, Chertsey

St Peter’s Shared Church in Chertsey is steeped in history that stems from the Chertsey Abbey, and the lower parts of the bell tower and the chancel of St Peter’s Shared Church survive from circa 1300, when the church was

St. Peter’s Hospital

St Peter’s Hospital is situated on the Chertsey / Lyne border. It has its origins in the Botley’s Park estate, which, by 1934, was a “colony for mental defectives”, with a group of ‘villas’ built to house patients. By 1939,

The Cedars (now Chertsey Museum)

Since 1554 at least 24 families have owned or occupied the Cedars until it became the Museum in 1972. The present building was constructed in 1815, with the annexe (Little Cedars) built during the late 1840s. The first mention of

The Market House, Chertsey

Chertsey was granted permission to have a market from at least as early as the 13th century, and this was reiterated by Elizabeth I in 1599, with the Chertsey Market Charter. It stated that a market should be held on

The School of Handicrafts

The School of Handicrafts in Eastworth Road, Chertsey, was founded in 1885 by Dr Thomas Hawksley, an East London doctor. It was established as a school for needy boys and its primary purpose was to give the boys a trade.