Blog Archives

Places

Addlestone Baptist Church

Addlestone Baptist Church was formed in 1828, however local people had been worshiping at Baptist “cottage meetings” since 1790. The first pastor of the church was Reverend R. Grace, who stayed eight years and established a Sunday school. The congregation

John Cree (c.1734 to 1816) and his son John Cree (1799 to 1858)

John Cree was an important gardener and nurseryman of his day, and founded a successful nursery business in Addlestone. He was trained by Mr Aiton, the head gardener at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, who worked under Sir Joseph Banks

Ongar Hill

Ongar Hill, as the house was originally known, stood in the general vicinity of the junction of Avon Close and Milton Road, Addlestone. For many generations the 50 acre farm belonged to the Crockford family, with references to them as

Princess Mary’s Village Home

Towards the end of the nineteenth century, no provision at all was made for looking after the daughters of women prisoners. Two ladies, Mrs. Meredith and Miss Cavendish, conceived the idea of building cottages in a village as a home

Sayes Court

Sayes Court was a mansion, one of the largest houses in the parish of Chertsey. It was probably named after Edmund Say who owned it in the 15th century.   In 1650 it was described as “a very faire timber house

St. Paul’s Church, Addlestone

Building work for a new church in Addlestone began in 1836, and the church was consecrated two years later. Prior to the opening of this 600 seater church, residents of Addlestone had to walk to Chertsey every Sunday. Nearly 20

The Crouch Oak

The Crouch Oak tree is one of the oldest trees in the Borough. The tree is now hollow, after years of decay and in 2001 removed part of an upper branch for safety reasons. This section was given to the

Woburn Farm & Philip Southcote – 1698 – 1758

Philip Southcote created the first Ferme Ornée (or ornamental farm) of its kind at Woburn Farm (then known as Wooburn Farm) in Addlestone. He and his wife, the Dowager Duchess of Cleveland, purchased the 116 acre farm in 1735, and