Blog Archives

Businesses

Addlestone Public Houses, Inns & Taverns

Cricketers Row Town:Licensed before 1869, this was a one time a combined business of beer retailer and grocer. Duke’s Head Station Road, Addlestone: Built at the new crossroads in 1814 and probably named after the Duke of York by the original licensee,

Lang Propellers

Alexander Dashwood Lang was a journalist living in Weybridge. He is credited with being the designer of the modern propeller, initially manufacturing his designs in the Riverside Works, Addlestone, but moving to Hamm Moor Lane when the company needed more

Princess Mary’s Village Home

Towards the end of the nineteenth century, no provision at all was made for looking after the daughters of women prisoners. Two ladies, Mrs. Meredith and Miss Cavendish, conceived the idea of building cottages in a village as a home

Weymann’s Coachworks

When the Blériot aircraft factory in Addlestone closed in 1925, the premises were taken over by Weymann Coachworks who built motor vehicle bodies. In the first year of operation they built seven buses; expanding up to 1,000 in 1949. By

Woburn Farm & Philip Southcote – 1698 – 1758

Philip Southcote created the first Ferme Ornée (or ornamental farm) of its kind at Woburn Farm (then known as Wooburn Farm) in Addlestone. He and his wife, the Dowager Duchess of Cleveland, purchased the 116 acre farm in 1735, and