Blog Archives

Businesses

Addlestone Public Houses, Inns & Taverns

Cricketers Row Town:Licensed before 1869, this was a one time a combined business of beer retailer and grocer. Duke’s Head Station Road, Addlestone: Built at the new crossroads in 1814 and probably named after the Duke of York by the original licensee,

Chertsey Cinema

The first regular cinemas shows were started c. 1905 in the Constitutional Hall by Clifford Spain. About the same time a cinema opened at 41 Guildford Street, which was variously called the Picture Palace Cinema, the Electric Palace, the Electric

Chertsey Public Houses, Inns & Taverns

Anchor 124 Guildford Street: In existence 1599 but ceased business soon after Angel 33 Windsor Street: (on the site of The Cedars) Flourished from at least 16th century to near the end of the 17th century. Angel 9-15 Windsor Street – See King’s Head, Chertsey Bell

Egham Public House, Inns & Taverns

Anne Boleyn The Hythe Known as The Old Bridge House, this was a family home until 1927. Anglers’ Rest Runnymede The pub probably dated from about 1856, and the building may have contained parts of the previous structure on the

Eldridges

Two generations of the Eldridge family of bell-founders worked in Chertsey from about 1619 until 1716. Bryan Eldridge was the son and grandson of bell founders of Wokingham. He died in 1640, leaving his bell house and all his working

Englefield Green Public House, Inns & Taverns

Armstrong Gun Victoria Street Named after a successful breech-loading weapon perfected by William Armstrong in 1859, this pub was in private ownership until bought by Ashby’s Staines Brewery in 1904. Barley Mow Barley Mow Road Dating from the early 18th

Foxhills

The area known today as Foxhills was, up until the early 19th century, part of the Botleys estate. It was named Fox Hill or Fox’s Hill at the time when Botleys was owned by Sir Joseph Mawbey, a close friend

Hardwick Court Farm

Hardwick Court Farm is situated on Hardwick Lane, Lyne. It is a modest structure, but has a long and illustrious history. The earliest records of this house date back to 1430, but it is likely that a house occupied the

Lagonda

Lagonda Ltd. was the brain child of American-born Wilbur Gunn. Gunn moved to England in 1891 to set up a branch of his brother-in-law’s Lagonda manufacturing company, which made steam engine equipment. Instead he turned his attention to the manufacturing

Lang Propellers

Alexander Dashwood Lang was a journalist living in Weybridge. He is credited with being the designer of the modern propeller, initially manufacturing his designs in the Riverside Works, Addlestone, but moving to Hamm Moor Lane when the company needed more

Lyne & Longcross Public House, Inns & Taverns

Royal Marine – Lyne Lane, Longcross – In existence in 1871.

Ottershaw Public House, Inns & Taverns

Anchor Junction of Longcross Road, Stonehill Road & Holloway Hill In existence 1772 and possible in 1770 as “The sign of the Anchor”. Castle Brox Road Built in 1840 Gardeners’ Arms Church Road In existence in 1851 and delicensed and

Princess Mary’s Village Home

Towards the end of the nineteenth century, no provision at all was made for looking after the daughters of women prisoners. Two ladies, Mrs. Meredith and Miss Cavendish, conceived the idea of building cottages in a village as a home

Royal Holloway College, Englefield Green

Royal Holloway College was founded by Thomas Holloway. He was an extremely successful manufacturer and retailer of Holloway pills and ointment – patent medicines which were said to treat a wide variety of ailments. He had founded the Holloway Sanatorium,

Strode’s College

Strode’s School, Egham was founded in 1704 by Henry Strode. He came from a long established Egham family, who had a successful coopering business. Henry Strode became a Master of the Worshipful Company of Coopers in 1703, but sadly died

The Cedars (now Chertsey Museum)

Since 1554 at least 24 families have owned or occupied the Cedars until it became the Museum in 1972. The present building was constructed in 1815, with the annexe (Little Cedars) built during the late 1840s. The first mention of

The Market House, Chertsey

Chertsey was granted permission to have a market from at least as early as the 13th century, and this was reiterated by Elizabeth I in 1599, with the Chertsey Market Charter. It stated that a market should be held on

Virginia Water Public House, Inns & Taverns

Crown – Trumps Green Road, Virginia Water – In existence 1830s Rose Beer House – See Rose and Olive Branch, Virginia Water Rose and Olive Branch – Callow Hill, Virginia Water – In existence 1830s as a beerhouse

Weymann’s Coachworks

When the Blériot aircraft factory in Addlestone closed in 1925, the premises were taken over by Weymann Coachworks who built motor vehicle bodies. In the first year of operation they built seven buses; expanding up to 1,000 in 1949. By

Woburn Farm & Philip Southcote – 1698 – 1758

Philip Southcote created the first Ferme Ornée (or ornamental farm) of its kind at Woburn Farm (then known as Wooburn Farm) in Addlestone. He and his wife, the Dowager Duchess of Cleveland, purchased the 116 acre farm in 1735, and

Woodham & New Haw Public House, Inns & Taverns

Black Horse – 86 New Haw Road, New Haw – In existence 1785 Black Prince – 300 Woodham Lane, New Haw – Built 1937 Victoria – Woodham Lane, Woodham – Rumoured to have been opened during the building of the

Woodham & New Haw Public Houses, Inns & Taverns

Black Horse 86 New Haw Road: In existence 1785 Black Prince 300 Woodham Lane: Built 1937 Victoria Woodham Lane: Rumoured to have been opened during the building of the railway between 1837 and 1941. It suffered a fire in 1939. White Hart 08 New Haw Road: Founded in 1789,