Strode’s School, Egham was founded in 1704 by Henry Strode. He came from a long established Egham family, who had a successful coopering business. Henry Strode became a Master of the Worshipful Company of Coopers in 1703, but sadly died on May 6th the following year. In his will, Henry made a bequest of £6,000 for the establishment, in association with the Cooper’s Company, of a school for the education of poor boys from Egham. The school, now a co-educational Sixth Form College called Strode’s College, is still in existence over 300 years later.
There have been several school buildings over the centuries. The first was completed and opened in 1706. This structure was demolished and rebuilt in the 1820s, and again in 1915. The school developed from a local boy’s charity school with 40 pupils, to a boy’s grammar school, and in 1975 it took on its current guise as a Sixth Form College. In addition to teaching 16 to 18 year olds, the College also runs an extensive programme of adult education through evening classes and corporate training. Strode’s maintains its link with the Worshipful Company of Coopers.